How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just closed my business last month and had every thing turned

This answer was rated:

I just closed my business last month and had every thing turned off except the cable and internet because they say I have to sign a document saying I have to pay 600 dollars because im ending my contract I tried to explain the reason im closing is I was in a bad car crash and cant keep it open they said tuff icould leave it on and pay the monthly bill or sign and pay 600 dollars don't like eather option do you have any advice
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry to hear about your condition, but did you have a contract with the Cable and Internet company for a specific term? Did you personally guarantee this contract or was it signed by the business only?

What type of business entity are you, a corporation, LLC, unincorporated sole proprietorship?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its a llc. a 3 year contract has 21 months left on it

Thank you can you please answer the rest of my questions, because I need to know that to know if you have any legal options.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had to sign seems like my name because it was a llc and the bill comes in my name not the company I think that was all your questions if there are any more could u ask them again

Thank you for the additional information.

I am afraid this is a problem. Written contracts are used to bind people to the contracts they enter and sign. What this means is that if you signed a contract with the cable company for 3 years and there is no cancellation clause in that contract, courts and the laws state that by you signing that contract you agreed to all of the terms in the contract and to honor those terms. I am afraid there is no provision in the GA laws that allow someone to cancel a contract even for when they have suffered a disabling accident.

The only way to terminate the contract would be if the cable company somehow breached the contract first and refused to cure that breach. Absent a breach by the cable company, the only way for you out of this contract early, for which you are personally liable, would be to continue to negotiate some buyout with them or they will simply send the bill to collections and it will continue to appear on your credit report as a negative mark. Generally, they will not sue you over this small of a bill, but they will ruin your credit for it.

Had the bill only been in the company name, you would have been in better shape because you could have then placed the business into bankruptcy and wound up and they would have gotten nothing from you personally. Or you could have just let them sue the business if there were no assets in the LLC and let them get a judgment which they would never have been able to collect against the LLC because it had no assets for them to collect from.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I havealways heard you can send a collector a dollar a month and they cant put a thing on your credit didn't no if that was true or not just thought mite be a good way to pay the 600

Thank you for your response.

That is an old wives tale I am afraid. If the bill is delinquent it is delinquent and if you are sending $1 a month and it is still delinquent they can still report it to the credit bureaus I am sorry to say. Personally, I like the idea, but legally they will still report to the credit bureaus as a delinquent account.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you