How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 34501
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are forming an LLC after having operated a successful sole

Customer Question

We are forming an LLC after having operated a successful sole proprietorship (DBA) for a number of years that has one asset property in it (we publish a magazine). My question: can I simply re-file the DBA to reflect the new LLC as the owner, instead of me as the owner? Do I have to file a new EIN number or can I use my current EIN number?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

The DBA would need to be registered to the LLC. If you are the only member then your SSN is used for the sole member LLC since the IRS does not recognize a sole member LLC as distinct from the sole member. If there are other members then you would need a distinct LLC.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Hello Lynn,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
Did I answer your question?