Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

My client has liability for sales tax in California. State

My client has liability for sales tax in California. State Board Equalization has audited
the liquor store business which he worked during the year 2003-2007.
He just worked as part time employee.
Upon his employer request , he signed ABC liquor licenses application and partnership
agreement to get liquor license. After that. he signed General Release and Waive Agreement in 2003. He didn't received any Partnership tax return(1065 form )from his Partner.
After auditing. large amount tax liability occurred. The other partner filed bankruptcy
My client still has liability?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If your client signed the license application and was made a partner to the business, this is what incurs his personal liability for unpaid taxes. Your only hope is proving that he was never really a partner, which would be based on him signing the release and waiver if he removed himself from the partnership. If you cannot prove he was not a legal partner, then he too may have to consider filing bankruptcy.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”