How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an attorney that was defending me. I was unable to keep

This answer was rated:

I had an attorney that was defending me. I was unable to keep up with his fees after he took the case. He is now filing a motion to withdraw, but he has not had his hearing yet. Can he just stop representing me before the hearing? What should I say to the court? Am I simply in the wrong here, or does he have to keep handling my case until the court grants him leave?
Its urgent, as the plaintiff has filed a motion for default judgment and the attorney has refused to respond to it for me.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer your question directly, if you are at the point where you are being heard in court (you are at the trial part of your suit), the attorney cannot directly stop representing you such such a failure may adversely affect your case and make potentially open the attorney for malpractice. But if a judge allows him to withdraw, then he can wholly cease his presentation of you. The best option for you is to stress that his removal would adversely and potentially fatally affect your case, you have no time or ability to retain other counsel, and you can create a payment plan with the attorney as a means of ensuring compensation for his assistance. In terms of being in the 'wrong', you do owe your attorney compensation for the work that he is doing on your behalf, and you cannot simply not pay him. If you do not pay him most professionals can simply quit helping you, it is just that attorneys are limited based on the apparent need to the case of their client. Having said that, the attorney can legitimate refuse to perform additional services if those services do not affect the underlying case. In a case of a default judgment petition, it likely shows that you are not yet at the trial phase of the case, and consequently the attorney can refuse to respond until he is compensated.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions