How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55481
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a moving company August 23, 2012 and cancelled on 9/11/2012.

This answer was rated:

I hired a moving company August 23, 2012 and cancelled on 9/11/2012. I am due a refund of $200.00, but the moving company seems to be having trouble processing that refund. It has been 7 months now, and I keep going back and forth with this company to get my refund to no avail. I filed a complaint with the BBB in December of 2012 which did not help me at all and only served to aggravate the moving company. This upset them so much that I was told to either remove the comment or send a letter stating that I would remove the comment, in order to receive my refund. I was not their first BB complaint. I cancelled because of the bad reviews they had gotten on the internet. Threatening legal action did not phase them. All I get is the run-around with this company. What do I do now?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Since they won't simply pay you voluntarily, file a claim against them in small claims court. You can do this without a lawyer and it's a very simple process. This will give you the collection options and leverage you need. Once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

Related Business Law Questions