How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 34442
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Loudoun County

This answer was rated:

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Loudoun County Va. One of the manufacturers has made an error of on a sales invoice of $3195. Both parties signed the sales invoice. We put in the invoice to the builder not aware of the error. We came to an agreement with the builder as to how much money they would help us with to close the deal. Now this error has been found on their invoice. I do not feel we should be responsible for coming up with this money when we have no means to do so and can impact us closing on our home. We have exhausted all our our funds to come up with we need now. Please let me know if I would have any legal remedy.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin I need a bit more information.

Have you contacted the manufacturer to correct the error? What is the nature of the error? How much should the invoice have been?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have contacted them and they haven't responded yet. The invoice is $4540.. It should be $7735. They took an option off we requested and they made a keying error. They signed and submitted it to the builder.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to read of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you.

Since the mistake was unilateral, you should be entitled to the quoted price unless you had knowledge of the mistake. In that case, you can not take unfair advantage of the situation. The builder or general contractor should be responsible for the budget and any error should come out of their pocket, as that is one of the responsibilities they are paid for.

If they refuse, or you can not reach a negotiated settlement, then you may have to sue them for breach of contract.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need further assistance. I am here for you.



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We had no clue they had made this mistake. I am trying to figure out what to say to them if they do not respond accordingly. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for following up with me.

If they do not respond accordingly then you will need to sue them for breach of contract.


Loren and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you