Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

In a small S-Corp with very few shareholders, can the slim

majority vote to remove a...
In a small S-Corp with very few shareholders, can the slim majority vote to remove a board member with no cause for removal other than vindictive reasons? What actions on the board member in question can be done to fight back?
4/3/2013
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney

Hello and Welcome! Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

I am very sorry that you are dealing with this situation. Section 53-11-39 Removal of directors states that unless otherwise stating in the bylaws or articles of organization if a meeting is called expressly for the purpose of removing a director, he/she may be removed with or without cause by a majority of shareholders entitled to vote.

Here is a link to the statute: www.nmprc.state.nm.us/corporations/statutes/article11/39.html

The exception to removal with or without cause is if the Articles of Incorporation provides for 2 or 3 classes of directors to be elected and each class is to serve 1 term of office and then the next class steps in for the second term. If this is the case, removal must be for cause.

I am sorry the shareholder's have voted out a director for vindictive reasons. Unless the Articles of Incorporation or bylaws state removal of a director may only be for cause, a director does not have a claim of action against the shareholders for removal if a majority voted for such removal.

I apologize that this was probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
J. Warren
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney