Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

is it legal in the state of michigan to marry people over

is it legal in...
is it legal in the state of michigan to marry people over the internet if yes i do i do it in terms of signing the papers im a ordained minster
3/28/2013
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Do you mean via a virtual ceremony, such as via webcam?

yes

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX as the spouses to be and witnesses are located in the state, and you are licensed in the state, it would be lawful marriage. The applicable law would be
51.9 Solemnization of marriage; form; declaration by parties; witnesses.

Sec. 9.

In the solemnization of marriage, no particular form shall be required, except that the parties shall solemnly declare, in the presence of the person solemnizing the marriage and the attending witnesses, that they take each other as husband and wife; and in every case, there shall be at least 2 witnesses, besides the person solemnizing the marriage, present at the ceremony.

The question is whether "in the presence" includes physical presence or can be virtual presence. Because it does not prohibit virtual presence and via webcam or other device you are witnessing the declaration.

You, the spouses, and witnesses would each have to sign the original certificate, and you mail it back to clerk. I want to make sure your questions are answered, if this does not answer your questions or if you have any follow up questions, please let me know. If this does answer your questions, please positively rate my answers.

MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Thank you, I want to make sure your questions are answered. If you have any follow up questions or need additional guidance, please let me know.
MShore Law
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney