Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

under the " Suspension " section of my Clubs bylaws, it states

under the " Suspension "...
under the " Suspension " section of my Club's bylaws, it states " The Board of Directors may suspend a member from some or all the privileges of the Club, for a period of up to one year. Dues and other obligations shall accrue during such suspension, and must be paid in full when due. My question is:
What is the status of such a member after the one year has expired?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2013
Law Pro, Attorney
My goal is to provide you with excellent service. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m going to assist you with your question.

Does it say what a suspension can be levied for?

failure to pay dues, fees, etc in a timely manner

OK, I understand.

That's obviously a fairly harsh penalty and, in my opinion a forfeiture - the club just wouldn't be worth it to me but it's your choice.

However, after the 1 year suspension and if you have paid all the dues arrearages and ongoing dues and obligations - you would again be a member in good standing automatically unless it says something else like the board or membership has to vote on re-accepting you as a member.

If the By-Laws or rules don't say anything or are silent on the issue -then you would once again be a member in good standing.

The By-Laws or rules must address the issue specifically OR you are presumptively once again a member in good standing.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know…

You can always ask for me in your question, “This question is for Law Pro . . (then on with your question) . . . .

Please press the Accept Button(and the Smiley Face if prompted :) if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you.

Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated by JustAnswer for assisting you. Please don’t leave negative feedback, If something isn’t working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

The Club has continued billing me each month for $1200 AFTER the expiration of the one year, which is contrary to their bylaw. I am still delinquent with my dues.

But did you become current during that year and continue to pay the monthy dues thereafter?
The payment of all outstanding dues and other obligations plus payment of another year's dues and obligation is a condition precedent before you can return to being a member of "good standing".

Until all the arrearages and another year's dues have been paid - they can continue to suspend your membership.

Sorry.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Law Pro, Attorney
Law Pro, Attorney