How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I volunteer for a local non profit soccer club. We recently

This answer was rated:

I volunteer for a local non profit soccer club. We recently received invoices from our "parent" non profit soccer organization from as far back as 2009 and 2010. As a non profit we have a very specific and dedicated budget and these unforeseen invoices will really hurt our contingency funds. My direct question is are we responsible for these invoices that are 3 and 4 years old?
What is the reason for the invoices? Were they for something that your group was bound to pay the parent group?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There are fees that the club incurrs for games played out of our organization that the "parent" organization and is supposed to recoup from the clubs in the organization but there seems to have been bad record keeping and we are being billed for several years at once. The invoice from 2009 stems from tournament fees that are being passed down to us but we are being billed for 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 all at the same time. Again this all appears to be bad book keeping and invoicing on there part.

Under Texas law there is a 4 year statute of limitations for suing for breach of contract, however, as this is your parent organization if you refuse to pay even though it may be out of the statute of limitations, they would have legal right to remove any charter or agreement with you to be your parent organization. Thus, while they legally could not sue for anything beyond the 4 years, they could sue you for debts less than 4 years and could also refuse to allow you to keep operating under their name.

Thus, you have to either negotiate repayment with them or they could take action if these are legitimate fees that were due pursuant to your agreement with the parent organization. Even if there was poor record keeping, if these fees are due pursuant to your agreement, they will still have legal right to collect them I am afraid, so you need to make some arrangements to pay them and have some type of fundraiser or dues assessment on the members to pay the fees.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Obviously not the answer we were hoping for but your help has been of great help as we have been given a wide variety of advice that could have been hurtful to the club. Thanks for your assistance.

You need to deal with your parent organization and work out a payment plan with them if these are fees your group was obligated to pay through agreement with them. Most parent groups would be reasonable in working out something.

Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback as that is the only way experts receive any credit for spending time with customers.