Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

i need to learn everything there is to know about australian

business law, and also have...
i need to learn everything there is to know about australian business law, and also have a good insight into international trade laws etc.

what are the best books to buy to get a full grasp on the above?
i need a full list starting from the basics to the advanced levels in all aspects of australian business law especially.
3/3/2013
BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney

TheLegalistEsq :

Here are two terrific books

TheLegalistEsq :

Australian Business Law

He has another book titield "Understanding Company Law" by P. Lipton, A. Herzberg and M. Welsh, (Sydney: Thomson Reuters, 16th ed. 2012).

Both books are good. The first is more basic. The second is more advamced

TheLegalistEsq :

sorry I accidentally pressed the enter

TheLegalistEsq :

The author of both books, Paul Latimer, is an associate professor at Monash University. The first book is available on Amazon USA site as used from 2008

Customer:

ok that sounds good, in terms of contract law,patent law and franchise law, are they all covered in the books?

TheLegalistEsq :

I used the first one in a comparative common law class where we looked at UK, Australia and New Zealand laws.

TheLegalistEsq :

Not as a full overview

TheLegalistEsq :

these are all distinct areas of law and you would need to get a book for each one. Certainly for patent law and franchise law

TheLegalistEsq :

contract law is covered by both

Customer:

ok so in terms of getting books for patent and franchise law, which ones would be good to go for?

TheLegalistEsq :

http://www.thomsonreuters.com.au/patent-law-in-australia-1st-edition/productdetail/91261

TheLegalistEsq :

for patent law

TheLegalistEsq :

http://www.franchisecentre.com.au/orderbook.htm

TheLegalistEsq :

for franchise but this book is not for attorneys more for business people

TheLegalistEsq :

are you a law student?

Customer:

not exactly, I'm in the process of starting my own business this year developing a device similar to an NAS server, but with a lot of added features to personalise the local data storage experience.

Customer:

i wanted to have a look at the franchise law in particular because i have a friend who is suing his franchisor along with 20 other franchisees at the moment due to an increase in franchise fees so i thought it would be good to get a good grasp on that side of things for future reference

TheLegalistEsq :

Then the book I referenced should work. It will give you a good overall view of the regulations

Customer:

i have a bit of a photographic memory so i wanted to see how i could go with acquiring a good knowledge base on Australian business law in the next 12 months whilst in the process of commercialising my product.

Customer:

ok, any other books you would recommend?

TheLegalistEsq :

Wow. I'm jealous. Another book that I have come across but not studies with is "Corporations Law in Australia" see here: http://www.federationpress.com.au/bookstore/book.asp?isbn=9781862873148

TheLegalistEsq :

These books will give you a good grasp of the law.

Customer:

ok, looks like i've got some good reading to do over the next couple of months here, really appreciate your time.

TheLegalistEsq :

Please rate me positively. Good luck!

BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney