How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Law Your Own Question
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
MShore Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an employee for a company in North Carolina. I am a programmer.

This answer was rated:

I am an employee for a company in North Carolina. I am a programmer. My employer has asked me to incorporate gpl-licensed software in our product. I have reviewed information that suggests incorporating this gpl-licensed software may be harmful. Can the company sue me for damages that might result from my incorporating the gpl-licensed software?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is the company's request in writing? Have you, in writing, advised your supervisor of the potential harm in incorporating the software?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello MShore,


The request from my employeer was via email. I did advise my employer in reply that the software seemed to be gpl-licensed and that may be an issue.


I can copy you the email correspondence if appropriate?


Thank you Dan, so long as you have on records the employer's request, and in turn your advisement that complying with the request presents potential liability/negative consequenes, the employer could not sue as the employer in such case assumed the risk that you were right in your warning and should it prove true, could not hold you liable. Please let me know if this does not answer your questions or if you have any follow up questions. If I have answered your questions, please positively rate my answers.
MShore Law and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you