How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In order to purchase property in central Mexico..can a U.S.

This answer was rated:

In order to purchase property in central Mexico..can a U.S. corporation do so? I thought that a u.S. corporation will need to create a mexican corporation to hold title?


A U.S. Corporation may own real property in Mexico and is not required to incorporate as a Mexican Corporation.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does it matter if its a non profit corp versus a for profit? Or is that issue only related to taxes, if any?

A US non-profit may own property in Mexico. However, the fact that it is a US non-profit will not exempt it from taxes in Mexico.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

oh ok i c. What taxes will we pay in mexico? we will be owners and use the property for office space for our church? Thanks.

Mexican taxes are outside our area of expertise on this website.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok understood. now finally, in these types of transactions..are there certain ways to undergo the transaction? meaning..a simple bank transfer from Chase bank in U.S. to a mexican bank the norm?

No, that will not work and could result in you losing the money without actually getting the title transferred to you. You need to hire a Mexican conveyancing company or real estate agent to set up the trasnaction for you and make sure that all the correct paper work is filled out. In the end, there will be an electronic transfer of funds, but it should be through an escrow agent.

Here is a guide I've found to buying property in Mexico that will be of use to you.

Please remember to rate my answer positively so that I may be compensated for my work on your question. Please also feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

Good Luck,


TexLaw and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I will provide credit.


Final thought, you mentioned we do not need to create a Mexican corp so therefore the property will be titled under teh U.S. Corp?