Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Im starting an event management company in San Francisco,

Customer Question
I’m starting an event management...
I’m starting an event management company in San Francisco, CA. I will be working with international clients traveling to San Francisco and the Bay Area. My clients will spend about a week in San Francisco for networking, conference and activities such as skiing, golf, wine tasting etc and I will provide them with a package deal for their entire stay in San Francisco.
At this point I have no employees but will be working freelancing event staff for different projects.
I need some inputs on what kind of company I should register and where the company should be registered?

Thanks!!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/4/2013
Business Lawyer: J. Warren, Attorney replied 5 years ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Hello and Welcome.

Typically sole ownership of a business will choose between a sole proprietorship, S-Corporation or Limited Liability Company ("LLC").

A sole proprietorship needs no formal registration other than to register an assumed business name "ABN" or "DBA" "doing business as" for example "John Smith" DBA as "San Fran Events". As simple as a DBA is to register, a sole proprietorship does not shield you against personal liability.

If a suit is brought against the business, your personal assets are in jeopardy to satisfy a judgment against the company. This is why most individuals choose either a S-corporation or LLC.

Both the S-corporation and LLC offer tax advantages while shielding the owner from personally liability. The LLC has less formalities in formation and is more flexible in ongoing management.

Here is a link to a blog in which clients have used and found very informative in helping choose an entity for a new business venture: www.quicksprout.com/2010/03/31/beginners-guide-to-corporate-entities/

Regardless of which entity is chosen, a business conducting activity in San Francisco and have its company headquarters based in San Francisco would register the entity with the California Secretary of State: www.sos.ca.gov/

There are many tax implications of doing business and a competent CPA's advise should be sought for consultation of the tax liabilities and implications of each type of entity.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.