How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to open up an online business. I am a U.S. citizen

This answer was rated:

I want to open up an online business. I am a U.S. citizen but I currently reside in Skopje, Macedonia with my husband. I am very confused on taxes etc especially since I will be operating my business out of my home here in Skopje. Macedonia is not an online shopping type of country so I do intend to target U.S. customers. I've tried to look online to see if I can figure out taxes and how to register or what not but it's like information overload. If someone can give me the correct information or point me in the right directions It would be so appreciated.
What type of business is it going to be, since you are not actually located in the US, the US Taxes may not be an issue for you even if you are targeting US customers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is an online clothing business. If at all possible I would also like to donate a portion of the purchases to a charity. Haven't figured all of that out yet either, are there certain laws pertaining to that as well, and also what about registering the website as a I have to do it here or there?

There are very few if any laws about regulating internet businesses, which puts them in a very gray area in the US. This means that even if you are making internet sales to customers in the US, you are not liable for any sales taxes, the buyer is technically liable for the payment of those sales taxes. Furthermore, if you do not register your business entity in the US, you can still sell to customers in the US, but do not have to pay income taxes on any earnings in the US because you are not physically located in the US.

This means you can open a foreign business corporation or LLC in someplace like Seychelles, Belize, Panama, where there are little to no taxes or fees, operate in the country where you are located, sell in the US and not have to file income taxes in the US (you are liable for claiming any taxes where you reside). You can also give whatever you want to charity, even as a foreign business entity.

At this point, there is no real need to register any business in the US unless you absolutely want to do so and if you do, then you need to consider Nevada or Wyoming as the place to form your LLC because they have low costs, no state income or sales tax and they keep all corporate filings very private and this means all you have to file would be a federal tax returns on the earnings of your company.

The law on sales taxes is that if you are located in a state that has sales taxes, then you have to charge them, but if you sell to others in other states then it is the buyer who is liable for paying sales taxes on their purchase.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions