Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Hello, I am trying to decide where to go to laws school.

Hello, I am trying to decide...

I am trying to decide where to go to laws school. I am a NY resident and would like to practice immigration law. If I get a licence in California do I have to reside in California to get licensed? Can I practice immigration law in NY with CA licence since immigration is federal not state.

Georgia
2/2/2013
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Dear GogoSocci1 - It doesn't matter where you go to law school since you can take the Bar Exam in any state and be licensed in that state. Many lawyers are licensed in multiple states so it doesn't matter where you live or go to law school. You are correct that immigration is Federal Law so you would also need to bet licensed in the Federal Court system after you graduate. My suggestion is to apply to several law schools and then you can choose the best school to fit your needs.
I am trying to go on line law school that only allows me to get license in California. Also how would u get licensed in federal court
You would have to apply to the Federal District Court in the area where you want to practice law. There are numerous Federal Districts in the country so you would have to wait until you receive your law degree before you can apply for membership in the Federal Court system. You can contact the district court in your area to see what qualifications they require to take the Federal Bar Exam. To my knowledge the Federal Court System does not recognize on line law degrees but you would have to check with them directly to know specifically what the particular district requires.
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney