How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55703
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a company that is using a generator that is 1 year old.

This answer was rated:

I own a company that is using a generator that is 1 year old. This generator has been repaired 7-9 times in that first year. I have lost around $35k in revenues, and that is a conservative number. There are no personal injuries just company loses.

Do you think we have a case? What type of lawyer should I get?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. You do have a valid cause of action here. The company is in default because they have sold you a generator that is defective. Since they have not responded well to your demand letter, you would want to first go to a competitor and determine the cost of a new generator to replace the one that you have that is faulty and determine the cost of renting a temporary generator while the one you have does not work. Then, file suit against the company seeking damages equal to: i) the cost of a new generator; ii) the rental cost of a replacement generator for all the time that you are without a generator; and iii) consequential damages...which are the profits lost due to the defective generator; although you can request consequential damages, it can be difficult to get them awarded. You will want to engage a civil trial lawyer to help you file this suit. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. Once you file the suit, it is likely the company will settle this by giving you a new generator to avoid the cost of contesting this; it's unfortunate that so many companies require you to file the suit to get them to be responsive.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The store making the repairs is in VA. The Territory offices are in MD. Where does the lawyer need to be licensed, VA or MD?



Thanks for your follow up. Since the company is obviously doing business in your state, you can file the claim in your state with a lawyer licensed in your state.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!