How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 7306
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Concerning California State Income Tax: I had a lien filed

Customer Question

Concerning California State Income Tax: I had a lien filed by the California Franchise Tax Board in 2010 for a CA state income tax liabilty, but after the FTB decided that I was disabled and not able to work, or otherwise pay the liabilty, the lien was released...(the lien is reported on my credit report as "State tax lien paid, released").
My finances have improved and I am looking at buying a home, but my mortagage person wants to know if I still have a tax liability???
(Please cite applicable statutes and case law you used...)
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.

If you are in possession of a written document from the State of CA titled something like "Receipt For Payment of Tax - Lien Release", or anything close to that which refers to the specific lien in question, that is all you will ever need. The request for statutes and case law cannot be complied with. The document speaks for itself in law and there will be no statutes or cases which deal with the efficacy of an official signed receipt and lien release by the State. I hope you understand this response and that this information is helpful.

l thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.