Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I know a lot of people who have their own businesses and make

Customer Question
custom shoes for a living...
I know a lot of people who have their own businesses and make custom shoes for a living. These shoes contain images of NBA teams' logos in glitter and drawings. How are they allowed to do this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/5/2013
Business Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am LawGuy and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

They purchase a license from the NBA or they sell counterfeit product.

So let me get this straight. If someone brings me an old pair of shoes and asks me decorate them in a spiderman theme I would require a license to do this? The shoe is not being mass produced and it is for the personal use of the customer.

You do not require a license to do it. You require a license to sell it legally.

Can a person pay me for my labour? Or is that considered selling it?

As a practical matter, it is unlikely any company is going to bother you for doing this for your friends. It really does not become an issue until you are doing this in volume.

1 last question. Am I legally allowed to walk into a store and buy a pair of name brand shoes, decorate them and resell them as my own custom creation? Can I sell them as a restoration piece?

Yes, that would not violate US copyright law.

If I have a Levi jacket that I decorate wand want to re sell is there a license required to do this. The reason I ask is because there are a few second hand stores in Toronto that alter brand name clothing and re sell it. I was told they purchased a license to do so.

Resale shops are not violations of trademark. Once you buy a licensed product for your personal use, it is yours to keep or sell. However, I was only answering regarding US trademark law. I will opt out for a Canadian expert.

Loren, Attorney