Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Which is more cost efficient - a self proprietor business or

an LLC in the State...
Which is more cost efficient - a self proprietor business or an LLC in the State of New York?
Also what are the tax implications for each

The business is in telecommunications on the technical side such as cabling etc.

What insurances are required for workers in this field when they are out doing installations etc and traveling between jobs?

Are there other issues to be concerned about in this type of business?
Thank You
1/4/2013
Both a sole proprietorship and an LLC are essentially "flow through" tax entities in NY. This means the income and losses from business would be claimed on the owner's personal income taxes (unless the owner elects for the LLC to be taxed as a corporation, which is not available for a sole proprietorship). The biggest difference between the two is in the area of personal liability for actions of the business. The sole proprietorship gives the owner no protection from any liability for any actions of or debts of the business. Thus, if you get into any debt or get sued for any work performed, you as owner would be personally liable for that debt. With an LLC, the owners (presuming you follow all of the proper corporate formalities and do not mingle the funds with your personal funds and maintain proper insurances and funding of the business and do not sign any personal guarantees for debts of the LLC) are not liable for any debts of the LLC. Thus, if the LLC is sued, the LLC is solely liable and they cannot come after the personal assets of the owner of the LLC.

You would require business liability insurance to cover any damages done during installations or work you are performing as well as auto liability insurance and workers compensation insurance if you will have any employees.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

What is the tax rate for a LLC in New York State. When are company taxes filed each year. Is company tax due the same for LLC formed in Delaware

As an LLC is a flow through entity, it is the same as whatever your personal tax rate would be. Thus, it depends on what tax bracket your own personal income taxes are at as to what tax you pay on the income of your LLC.

Company taxes are filed based on the annual year and again, as they are claimed on your personal taxes, they are due by April 15, as that is when your personal taxes are due.

Even if you form the LLC in DE or WY or NV or NY, they are all flow through entities and you claim the profits/losses on your personal income taxes.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney