How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I need to register with the state or obtain some type of

Customer Question

Do I need to register with the state or obtain some type of state license to originate and service commercial loans not secured by a mortgage or deed of trust? The loans are secured by a pledge of partnership interest and are non-recourse to any individual except for standard 'bad boy' carve-outs. We will operate nataionally with not particular geographic concentration. Approximately 20-30 loans/year at an average of $750,000. These are not hard money loans so usery is not an issue.

Specifically, we monetize excess cash flow (net of the senior lender) on single-tenant, net leased properties like drug stors, bank branches, mass murchandisers, auto parts retailers, etc. We do not file a lien on the property.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 4 years ago.

Attorney2020 :

Yes. You will need to comply with the lender license laws for each state that you intend to do business is otherwise you could be in for a rude awakening looking into the future. There are lender license laws in each state and they are pretty simple to comply with.

Attorney2020 :

I hope this helps.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts

are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Information given is not legal advice. I am not your attorney. The information given is general only. I am not establishing or accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Customer: This doesn't tell me anything I hadn't told you. Are you aware of expeditions for obtaining commercial mending licenses? It would appear the generally speaking licenses are not required by most states.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.
Hello I am another expert here. I have a little different view of your situation. If I understand it, you are loaning money, but doing so in the form of taking a limited partnership interest in the owner's equity. Therefore, I see no reason to obtain state licenses in any state. If your interest is being acquired by a corporation or LLC, it will of course register to do business in the state, but that is not licensing. I hope this information is helpful, and thank you for choosing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are lending money to a special purpose entity and taking a collateral assignment of ownership interest in the entity as security. Not a mortgage. We are a commercial "lender".


Q: Are you aware of an expeditor service?


Q: What state agency would typically handle registration/licensing?

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.

Q: Are you aware of an expeditor service?


I do not believe that such a thing exists in the financial services arena. If it does, it goes by a name other than "expeditor service".


Q: What state agency would typically handle registration/licensing?

Typically, registration of foreign corporations is under the Secretary of State's office. If you were a commercial bank, which you don't appear to be, it would be under the state's department of financial institutions, or whoever regulates banks, S&Ls etc.... Most states do not regulate private commercial loans.

I hope this information is helpful, and thank you for using Answer.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 years ago.
Hello again. I notice that you read my Answer, but you have not rated it. If you need more information, please send a Reply to this. If not, I hope that you will enter a positive rating for my Answer so that I can receive compensation. Thanks again for using Pearl.Com- Just Answer.