Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Will an sworn affidavid suffice in place of depositions. Al)soif

Will an sworn affidavid suffice in place of depositions. Al)soif I wanted to veiw an case in action. {live) in dallas tx which court would I need to get an docket
No, I am afraid under the best evidence rule a sworn affidavit would not substitute for a deposition. An affidavit can be submitted with pleadings in the court case, but they are considered hearsay in court and not evidence unless you have the party who swore to the affidavit physically appear to testify. The reason for this is a deposition is taken under oath and the opposing party is there and has a chance to question the person, whereas an affidavit is drafted and signed without any change to cross examine the person giving it.

You can walk into any court in the Dallas Court building and you can usually ask the clerk of court and they can tell you which courts have civil trials scheduled for you to sit in on and view.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank you.