Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have an a/c business and am wanting to get rid of the dba

part of my business....
I have an a/c business and am wanting to get rid of the dba part of my business. I will not be selling any assets except the warranties on the units that I have sold. Do I have to go through an attorney to do this or can I just drop the dba part of my business name? Also, can the company taking over the warranties on the units I have sold take over the dba name or do they have to create their own dba?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2013
Richard, Attorney
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Where have you filed the d/b/a for your business?

My business is filed in Orange County, Orange, TX. My business name isXXXXX Services dba Toledo Air A/C & Heating. I want to get rid of the Toledo Air part of my business. The only asset I would be selling is the warranties that I have with Trane. My business is in my home, so there is no other asset involved.

Thank you for following up. You will want to file a Termination of Assumed Name with the county courthouse in Orange County and with the Texas Secretary of State. You can complete and file the termination with the Secretary of State online at the Secretary of State website: http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/sosda/index.shtml

Then, when you assign the warranties, you will notify your customers that the warranties are being assigned and to whom. You may consent to the assignee of the warranties using your former d/b/a, but it would be preferable from your standpoint that the assignee of the warranties have their own separate and distinct name so that if there is a problem, a customer cannot claim confusion and sue the both of you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

Richard, Attorney