How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10629
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

California Retail Permit I am a house flipper and I sell

This answer was rated:

California Retail Permit

I am a house flipper and I sell over 10 houses a year. My associates mentioned to me that I can get a retail permit and buy building material at wholesale price but use them on our projects. Kind of like my company selling to itself.

Is this legal? If not, what do I need to do to make it legal? What are the caveats of doing this?

bizlaw :

You would not be entitled to a resale sales tax exemption because you are considered the final purchaser of building materials that you are using in remodeling a house.

bizlaw :

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

Regulation 1521. If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication


Could you give me pointers to CA SOS website or code sections that discusses the eligibility?


it's not only the sales tax i want to save. With I retail license, i can qualify for wholesale pricing from vendors. I don't mind paying the sales tax. I want to know the requirement and ramification of getting a retail license.

bizlaw :

Here is link to a tax board publication. Search for remodelling and you will see the discussion of buying materials to remodel an existing building. If I have answered all your questions please highly rate my answer as that is how I am compensated. Here is the link. mp;srcid=ADGEESiiDytfX5mWzFkVbl_-Vn6amj4Ndndh5z7O7v2WchfJHj98yedWQxbTxgmzinUC84T3g7bEvBkwNHHbkETpu4eB7kvo2TDh8TuuHFH80UxC1Ck5IbE3bZfykF7oh4sf_Z4a7Pr4&sig=AHIEtbTQZyyqpAXSpV7KstRhOQx_SemlXw

bizlaw :

It is Publication 9 from the CA Tax Equialization Board

Richard - Bizlaw and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you