Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If you have an LLC business and something happens and the business

If you have an LLC business and something happens and the business is sued are the personnel assessts of the owners protected and if you have a DBA business are the personnel assessts still protected if the business is sued?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

An LLC protects the individual owner/s of the business from personal liability, so the individual owner's personal assets are protected.

However, a DBA does not receive the same legal protection. In this instance, the DBA's personal assets are not protected and would be subject to any judgment rendered against the individual owner's DBA.

The reason is that an LLC is a separate legal entity under the law - it's as if the LLC is a totally separate person. However, a DBA is not a separate legal entity. Instead, the DBA is just the individual doing business under a trade name.