How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10628
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own 100% of the shares in an S corp. in CA. I am selling

This answer was rated:

I own 100% of the shares in an S corp. in CA. I am selling the business by selling my shares in the corp. The business will continue under the same name. I asked IRS if I needed to close out my EIN and have the new owners apply for a new EIN. They went through all the reasons to keep/refile and finally said the answer lies in whether or not the CA Secretary of State will require them to file a new corporate charter. I have tried numerous times to contact the SOS, but cannot get through. I would prefer that a new EIN be issued. Question is A) Does a new EIN have to be issued, and B) If we desire that this be done can the new owners apply for a new EIN. We are an insurance agency and all commissions are paid against the EIN.

bizlaw :

Ordinarily, on the sale of stock of a corporation, the EIN is not changed. The purpose of doing a stock sale from the buyer's point of view is that they retain the benefit of the history of the company. There could also be some adverse tax consequences on reincorporating for the buyer. Since you are no longer in the business through the company, you have no use for the existing EIN and could not use it in any event.

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication


Since income after I sell my shares will be posted against the EIN, wont the IRS look to me to pay taxes since I am listed as the owner of 100% of the shares of the corp under that continuing EIN.? What about the CA Sec of State? Will they require a new corporate charter if new individuals take ownership of the stock?

bizlaw :

The IRS will not look to you for any income generated after the sale. The reason is that as part of the sale documentation you will change the subchapter S election removing you as a shareholder. You will be responsible for income generated prior to the sale and the new owners will be responsible for all income after the sale. If you have more questions please let me know. If not please rate my answer highly as that is how I am compensated.


Ok - what about the ques. on CA. corporation charter. Will they be required to generate a new charter when they become owners of the shares? IRS says if this is a requirement, then they will have to file for a new EIN.

bizlaw :

There is no need for them to get a new charter once they become owners. As I said that could create adverse tax consequences for them. I have never heard of the IRS requiring a new EIN number for a company where the stock has been sold. There is no such requirement.

bizlaw :

One thing you do want is to determine what the profits are as of the date of sale so that does not become an issue in the future.

bizlaw :

If I have answered all your questions please rate my answer highly. If you have more questions let me know.

Richard - Bizlaw and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions