Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a Delaware LLC and the state returned a certified copy

of "Articles of Formation"....
I have a Delaware LLC and the state returned a certified copy of "Articles of Formation". Is this different than articles of organization? I am currently purchasing real estate and the person I am dealing with insists it is not articles of formation, that I need to provide the articles of organization. I also only see articles of formation on the Delaware SOS website. Are articles of organization the same as articles of formation?
12/4/2012
Richard, Attorney

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. The person you are dealing with is not correct. In Delaware, the document that is filed for an LLC is "Articles of Formation." Then, the LLC will enter into an Operating Agreement setting forth the terms of the agreement of the members, but it is not filed. In some states, this document is referred to as "Articles of Organization" rather than "Articles of Formation" but that is not the case for Delaware.

Thank you so
much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I've done my best to provide information which
will be helpful to you.
If I have not
fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I
have misinterpreted your questions in any way,
please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so
I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer
. If I have fully answered your
question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service
with 3, 4, or 5
faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to
provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve
you! If I can be of assistance to you in
the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

Richard, Attorney
Thank you for the bonus! I appreciate your kindness!
Richard, Attorney