Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

We are changing our business name due to a very similarly named

business in the area. Our...
We are changing our business name due to a very similarly named business in the area. Our biggest concern is making sure the contracts we currently have with our clients are still enforceable. We are not filing new articles of inc, or a new EIN, simply changing the business name. We are physically in Colorado, but have contracts with clients in CO and FL.
12/4/2012
Ellen, Attorney
*Nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Changing the business name does not affect the rights and duties of the parties to the contract. What this means in your situation is that a name change does not affect your contracts

are we required to formally notify them of the name change?

You would have to comply with the fictitious name statute of each State in which you do business. This would include notifying the clients

We weren't planning on doing this as a DBA, but amending our incorporation. Does that change the original answer?

Thank you for your help.

You would not then need to comply with the fictitious name statutes. Typically you would need to notify the Secretary of State in each state that you are registered as a foreign corporation doing business in the state. You would also be required to notify your clients

Thank you for your assistance. Have a lovely day!

Thank you. I wish you the best this holiday season
Ellen, Attorney

Thank you for your business.

The site will be sending you a survey. The results of the survey are essential to my employment.

Question #3 of the survey will ask you: "How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert to a friend?"

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer "10". If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

As always, I am here to address follow-up questions at no additional charge.
Ellen, Attorney