Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

With medicare stark 2 law, Can you make a referring physician

Customer Question

With medicare stark 2 law, Can you make a referring physician as your healthcare company's board of director with monthly fix salary with out violating the stark 2 law?Thanks
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Under Stark II, “financial relationship” is defined as an ownership or investment interest in, or a compensation arrangement with, an entity providing designated health services and includes certain indirect financial relationships. There is an exception in Stark II for personal services compensation arrangement, but this is for medical services actually performed by the doctor, not for sitting on the company's board of directors when he refers patients to that company. The doctor may be made medical director of the healthcare company, but again he is performing a personal service by being the medical director for the healthcare company for which he is being compensated and even in that case, he could no longer refer patients from his practice to the healthcare company. Any financial arrangement with a referring doctor in a facility that gives them a financial interest in the healthcare facility/company would be against the terms of Stark II.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”