How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am listed as a board member on the form 990 for a small non-profit

This answer was rated:

I am listed as a board member on the form 990 for a small non-profit in Washington State.

I was not elected by the members but rather listed by the President of Board. This President has suddenly died. The agency had no cash controls (We have always just trusted the President).

The current 3 members of the board have chosen not to seat me but promised to keep the money safe and keep me informed about what is going on. I am told that they may be attempting to shut down the agency and distribute the money to other non profits.

There is more than half a million dollars in cash with no over site. I was told that I would be kept informed and I have not heard from them in the 3 weeks since the Presidents death.

The by laws require a 4 member board. I have pointed this fact out to the current board and they said they felt comfortable only having 3. The current board is an elderly woman and a mother and daughter.

What should I do?
At this point, because you were duly appointed by the president and the board is not complying with the bylaws, your only remaining recourse if they will not comply with the bylaws would be to file a suit against the board on behalf of the non-profit, which is called a derivative action and requires you to engage an attorney to represent the non-profit and stop the other board members from acting improperly against the bylaws and against the best interests of the organization itself.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you