Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I sold my company. The buyer defaulted and transferred all

I sold my company. The buyer defaulted and transferred all of the stock back to my name. He now claims I should have followed different UCC rules. Now that the stock is in my name hasn't he waived any UCC rights?
*Nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

To clarify, the buyer voluntarily transferred the stock back to your name?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it was voluntary and he admitts he defaulted

Thank you for your response.

Question – Now that the stock is in my name hasn't he waived any UCC rights?
Answer – Yes you are correct

Regardless of whether you properly filed your U.C.C. lien or did not file the U.C.C. lien at all, the fact that he voluntarily transferred the stock back to you makes the issue moot.

The U.C.C. filing is to allow for repossession in the event of nonpayment. Since the stock was transferred to you, it is irrelevant whether or not you properly filed the U.C.C.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Under section 9 of the UCC (I have been doing some research on line) is the debtor allowed to waive rights?

The UCC no longer applies because of the voluntary surrender.