How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3684
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello - What are the legal and tax requirements for a US

This answer was rated:

Hello -

What are the legal and tax requirements for a US small business to directly hire a French citizen (who is living in France)? The French citizen would be hired as an employee of the small business to work in France at a US based company. The US based company is doing business in France but has contracted for a professional service with the small business. Is this possible? What are the steps or contacts that would need to be made to do this? How are taxes handled?

Thank you.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am patient. Please find the right expert to help me. Thank you.

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

You have to treat the employee as if he were an employee in the United States and comply with all of the IRS tax reporting and withholding requirements. It is the responsibility of your employee in France to provide you with documentation of any exemptions, if such apply to the employee.

The US takes the position that they have the ability to tax the individual first, on earnings from a US source (your company) and the French employee has the burden to show that it is not taxable. Your burden is to comply with all the US reporting and withholding requirements, unless and until that employee gives you certification that they are not subject to US withholding etc.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. So does that mean that I have no responsibilities to the France taxing authorities?

Your employee responsible French tax authorities, not your US company. It is.also.covered by tax treaty, so an.exemption would.apply.
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3684
Experience: Experienced business lawyer.
WiseOwl58 and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you