How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask rvlaw Your Own Question
rvlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 8386
Experience:  NYC Trial Attorney 30+ years; Law professor ; BUSINESS LAW; CONTRACTS; TORTS; Arbitrator
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
rvlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a kitchen project in my home. I hired a guy who gave

This answer was rated:

I have a kitchen project in my home. I hired a guy who gave me an estimate then asked to be paid by the hour. When it was obvious he was dragging the project out and wasting time. I balked. There are some glaring mistakes that I will have to get fixed. The project is incomplete and when I asked him to prepare a bill he only gave me hours worked for his crew. There is no contract for the work. I feel I should not pay him for all the hours they racked up socializing and hanging out on my dime. I would like to pay him what's normal and customary for the work completed correctly then dock him for damage. I am getting estimates from other contractors now.

Hi and welcome,


You are correct. I suggest that you total what you think he should be paid under all the circumstances including the cost to complete the job. Come to a figure and DO NOT NEGOTIATE. And tell him it is non negotiable. Send him a letter certified mail RRR with the info. Add that if he won't accept the figure, he is welcome to sue you in small claims court.


NOTE: the maximum you can sue for in OHIO small claims is $3,000. If your damages are more than that, you will have to go to a higher court and get a lawyer. Analysis: It may be better to take the 3K than hire a lawyer to get more but have to pay him a fee.




To find an attorney, go to This is a nationwide directory we lawyers use ourselves to find highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. These lawyers are NOT in Martindale because they paid to be included. They are there because they are rated as QUALIFIED by other lawyers in their field of expertise and geographic area as it applies to your kind of case. The process is this: other lawyers are asked to fill out questionnaires giving their opinion of the quality of the work of the law firm that ultimately appears in Martindale. The site is organized geographically and by legal specialty. Consult with two or three and select the one you are most comfortable with. The Martindale listing will have the names of current or past clients. Contact those clients as references for the firm.
Please refer to the JUST ANSWER disclaimer and rule on this site. You have to consult with an attorney in your state and discuss this matter with him or her. THE REASON is that we do not have an attorney-client relationship and the confidentiality that goes with it on this site. Our exchange is available for all to see. Note that this rule is applicable even though I am a New York attorney and your question may relate to NY law.
Please ACCEPT MY ANSWER so that I may get credit for assisting you.
Then press 3, 4 or 5 to rate it.
Please do NOT press 1 or 2 since that will result in a negative rating for me which you may not have intended If you want further information or clarification, just ask before you accept my answer and give a rating.


rvlaw and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions