How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney2020 Your Own Question
Attorney2020, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 2578
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Attorney2020 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what if a "C" corporation does not have an operating agree

This answer was rated:

what if a "C" corporation does not have an operating agreement
C Corporations do not have operating agreements. LLCs have operating agreements.

A C Corporation has articles of incorporation, which are required in order to register with the state government. A C Corp also has bylaws, which is the equivalent of an operating agreement. A Corp also has a board of directors which makes the strategic decisions as to how the corporation operates, and which drafts and votes on formal board resolutions to memorialize its decisions.

The difference between a C Corp and an LLC for operational purposes, is that as an LLC has no board of directors, and as an LLC is intended to operate generally based upon a more limited set of directives and under management of a small number of persons, the operating agreement is all that is required. Whereas a C Corp has a much broader range of interests, and requires more oversight, because it usually has many more investors than does an LLC.

If you have a small C Corp, you can draft a bylaws that provide for management in the same manner as does an LLC operating agreement. Or, you could create a formal resolution that has a similar effect.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We have a small C corp where there is conflict and gridlock between

the two 50% chaseholders. We want to use the articles of incorporation

and the bylaws to resolve our issues but we can not find any paper work.

The questions is what governs the corporation in the absense of any

agreements. We have been in existence for 38 years. Are you saying

that the state must have a copy of our articles as well as our by-laws?

If not, are there state staues that address issue this for corporations as

it does for partnerships without agreements

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am not getting a response to my follow up question
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am not getting a response to my follow up question
State statutes have specific statutes tailored to be used as default rules. Typically, under a 50/50 gridlock, the most cost effective arrangement to use is to obtain a mutualy agreed upon mediator in your county and mediate the issue. Otherwise, a lawsuit might be required to be filed which can be quite costly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I force the appointment of a mediator if the other party does not agree to anything that i propose. Our problem is the use of corporate funds which are loaned out withoud my consent and against my objection. To make things worse he is under a debtor in pocession, in a

chapter 11 personal bankruptcy. I don't want to file a suit because that will damage his case but how else can i force him to stop the practice
of moving funds out of the corporation.


If he can move funds out, so can you correct? If so, I would transfer the funds out of teh account as a precaution and not use any of the funds until the matter is solved. It sounds like you have an unreasonabel partners that is violating some fiduciary duties as to the company.


Otherwise, you wil have to file suit and request an injunction restricting him from access to the bank accounts.



Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the "REPLY" or "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" button.


Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.


Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.


I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney's legal advice.


Information given is not legal advice. I am not your attorney. The information given is general only. I am not establishing or accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.


Unfortunately, it will be extremely difficult to appoint a mediator without court involvement. The other person will have to voluntarily attend the mediation session unless the court order him to.
Attorney2020, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 2578
Experience: I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
Attorney2020 and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you