Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Can one (1) out of (3) Owners of S Corporation in NJ be removed

Customer Question

Can one (1) out of (3) Owners of S Corporation in NJ be removed from the Corporation without prior consent?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
An owner of a corporation cannot be moved out except in accordance with the bylaws of the corporation. If the bylaws do not provide for removal, then the NJ statute provides the board may remove a director (not as a shareholder without buying them out).

NJ Statute 14A:6-6. Removal of directors
(1) One or more or all the directors of a corporation may be removed for cause or, unless otherwise provided in the certificate of incorporation, without cause by the shareholders by the affirmative vote of the majority of the votes cast by the holders of shares entitled to vote for the election of directors.

(2) Unless otherwise provided in the certificate of incorporation, the removal of directors, with or without cause, by vote of the shareholders as provided in subsection 14A:6-6(1), is subject to the following qualifications...

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Paul,

Thank you so much for clearing up the confusion that I had going on. Your response was quick and very informative.

Rose Marie

Thank you. Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback as that is the only way we get credit for assisting you.