How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55605
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ho do i legally reposes vehicle from my customer who is late

This answer was rated:

Ho do i legally reposes vehicle from my customer who is late on payments in state of texas ? thanks

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Do you have a security interest in the vehicle?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i do he only paid 500 down and never did any other payments his phone is off and gave me wrong address where he suppose to be living

Thanks. You can then go take the car yourself (or have a repossession company repossess it for you). I have provided you the actual statute giving you this authority below. In doing the repossession, you are not allowed to breach the peace and you are not allowed to break and enter to get the vehicle.

Search TEX BC. CODE ANN. § 9.623 : Texas Statutes - Section 9.623: RIGHT TO REDEEM COLLATERAL

(a) A debtor, any secondary obligor, or any other secured party or lienholder may redeem collateral.

(b) To redeem collateral, a person shall tender:

(1) fulfillment of all obligations secured by the collateral; and

(2) the reasonable expenses and attorneys' fees described in Section 9.615(a)(1).

(c) A redemption may occur at any time before a secured party:

(1) has collected collateral under Section 9.607;

(2) has disposed of collateral or entered into a contract for its disposition under Section 9.610; or

(3) has accepted collateral in full or partial satisfaction of the obligation it secures under Section 9.622.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
general than
please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
his payment due was two months ago how long time do I have to wait by law before repossession take place.or I could reposses it as soon as he was late on his first payment two months ago?
You can repossess it as soon as the borrower is in default.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

and iassume if he late more than 24 hours that can be considered in default? right ?

I don't know whether your loan has a right to cure in it. But before you repossess it, you should first give a notice of default, a short period of the right to bring current, and then if that period passes, you can repossess.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do i give him a notice of default if i have no way to get in touch with him ?


You can send it to the last known address.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks certifed mail right ?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks certified mail right ?


Correct. Or, by independent courier who can verify it was posted at the address if they do not answer so you have independent verification of time and delivery.
Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you