How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118170
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Received International Wire Transfer in Error I am a NY

This answer was rated:

Received International Wire Transfer in Error

I am a NY based LLC that received an international wire transfer erroneously for $1273.00 from a customer and bank in Kuwait. The NYC Police Department sent 2 detectives to harass my employees when I was not in the office. I called them back and they told me they are coming to see me and arrest me and that I have to send the money back right away because it is grand larceny in the 4th degree. I know that the local police department has no jurisdiction on an international wire transfer. I am in Brooklyn NY and the police department in Manhattan NY, a different borough but the same city. We did not commit any fraud, this was the customers and bank error in our favor. This is not to say that we aren't going to refund the customer our of general honesty. But now that the law is involved. What is my rights? Do I have to comply with the local authorities.

Can they arrest me?

What powers are granted to the local police department (NYPD) in this situation? (I would think none and that this is for a federal law enforcement agency)

Can I plead the fifth amendment and not discuss this with them any further?

What are my rights as a US citizen?

P.S. This is not a honesty question of whether I should/shouldn't send the money to the customer. I just don't like being threatened by detectives.
NYPD has jurisdiction throughout the city, no matter what borough they may be in. However, to prove a theft or grand larceny they have to prove that you have taken property of another with the intent to permanently deprive. At this point they only have a complaint they are investigating and as the money was sent to NY and this is where you are "holding" the money any "intent to permanently deprive" and thus larceny would be in NY, so they would have jurisdiction even on the international transfer because it would be in NY where the alleged larceny took place.

However, based on what you have described, you are merely an innocent recipient of an error at this point, which by law you are obligated to facilitate to correct and return the money. It is only the refusal to return the money that they could indeed use to form the "intent to permanently deprive" which could indeed make this a theft/larceny occurring in NY because that is where the money is, regardless that it was an international money transfer.

You do not have to speak to the officers and you have an absolute 5th Amendment Right to not speak to them and you have a right to an attorney as well. However, in this matter it really is not prudent to worry about fighting with the police over this, it is an administrative error by the bank and it is the bank you should be contacting to have them correct the error and simply notify the police if they call again that it was a bank error and the bank is fixing it and make no other statements.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Am I permitted by law to make a public website showing the actions of the person who made the erroneous wire transfer and belittling them for trying to harass us? Using freedom of speech.

You can publish anything that is the truth and you are protected under your first amendment rights.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you