How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 33734
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any type of law that states when a person is staying

Resolved Question:

Is there any type of law that states when a person is staying at a hotel that the hotel workers can not give out information to someone about who is staying at the hotel and which room they are in? My daughter had an incident a couple days ago while staying at a hotel. She was at the hotel so her ex boyfriend could not find her. He found out what hotel she was at and even the room number. He then stalked her while she was there. He had food delivered to her room and was outside watching her. He called her to tell her he knew where she was. She had paid for an entire week stay. The day after he found her she left the hotel. They refused to give her a refund for nights she did not use. It was because someone at the hotel gave him the room number and verified she was there that he was able to find her. He called hotels until someone told him she was there. This cause undo stress on my daughter and put her children at risk of being kidnapped, is there anything she can do to get her money back due to this circimstance?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 years ago.
While there is no law that states they cannot give out that information it is pretty reasonable to expect that they would not do it and therefore she could sue for a breach of contract/warranty. She could sue in small claims court to get her money back but she can't sue for what could have happened. That isn't a compensable injury under the law.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you