Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I want to form a LLC and understand how to do this. My question

is is have a couple...
I want to form a LLC and understand how to do this. My question is is have a couple of small businesses and wondered if I can operate them under the name of the LLC I am starting. I don't want to form an LLC for each.
9/6/2012
Richard, Attorney

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. To form an LLC, you will need to: i) complete and file a Certificate of Formation with the Texas Secretary of State..you can do this online at the Secretary of State website; ii) obtain an taxpayer identification number ("EIN") from the IRS at the IRS website online; iii) prepare a simple operating agreement; iv) open a bank account in the name of the LLC; and v) file assumed name certificates with the Secretary of State and in the county of the principal place of business if operating under any name but the official name of the LLC. You would then transfer the assets of each small business to the LLC and operate under the LLC.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

My questions was this. I know how to form an LLC. I will form this under a certain name. I have a couple of other small buisnesses and wondered if I could operate these under the umberella of my LLC?

Yes...you can combine them both under one LLC. It does expose them both to each other such that a problem with one can contaminate the other, but if you are not worried about that, there is no legal impediment in operating them both under the one LLC.

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I am clear on my understanding. I can form my LLC under one name and operate 2 other businesses under different names, and be covered legally under the LLC? Would I need to add the names of the other 2 businesses on the LLC?

Yes....you only want to make sure to file the assumed name certificates for the two businesses if they are operating under a different name than the LLC.
Richard, Attorney
Richard, Attorney