Elizabeth Prentice
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience:  Legal counsel for multitude of businesses; Business Law Professor; Experience as In-House Counsel
70685486

Is it legal to operate a delivery service business that purchases

Is it legal to operate a delivery service business that purchases and delivers alcohol to persons of legal age in the state of Missouri, local statutes not withstanding? Transporting under 5 gallons at anytime. If so are there would a Package Liquor licence or other licence be required?
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sure, I can continue to wait. The matter is not currently pressing.

Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
I am a licensed attorney and would like to assist you in answering your question.

First, yes it appears to be generally legal to operate a delivery service business that purchases and delivers alcohol to persons of legal age in the state of Missouri. Once you become a seller of alcohol; however, you must apply for a Package License. Here is the link to the application: http://www.atc.dps.mo.gov/licensing/package.asp

As long as you are not selling wine, generally you are permitted to deliver alcoholic beverages in their original packaging. There are separate rules for wine, which appear to be for the purpose of "Wine Direct Shipper" in Missouri. You should review the excise tax reporting information as well, so that you maintain compliance with the State's procedures and do not lose your license once you obtain it. Excise Tax information is located here: http://www.atc.dps.mo.gov/excise_tax/in_state_shipping_wine_directly_to_consumers.asp

When it comes to preparing the initial application for your Package License, you should consult with a local attorney. There may be additional forms for your local county business license that you may need to prepare.

I hope my answer has assisted you and that you will leave me a positive rating!
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience: Legal counsel for multitude of businesses; Business Law Professor; Experience as In-House Counsel
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's pretty much what i was wanting to know, I'll consult with a local attorney for anything further.

Thanks for your assistance.

I am glad I was able to assist you!