How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10647
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question involves two Illinois not-for-profit corporations

This answer was rated:

This question involves two Illinois not-for-profit corporations and their two presidents.
Corp V had a piece of real estate to sell to Corp C. A stipulation in the selling contract was that Corp C would pay the 'outstanding taxes'. One year of taxes (approx $9400) was due the first of July 2011. Real estate closing date approx two weeks later. Corp C did not have enough money to pay the taxes due two weeks before the signing and if not paid those taxes would be on the rolls of the Aug 2011 Cook County Tax Sale.
On his own, with no authorization from shareholders, the president of V made an agreement with the president of C that Pres V would pay the $9400 out of his personal funds and Pres C would repay him with a monthly payment.
One year later, only the first payment was made.

At the last Corp V shareholders meeting, a friend of the president made a motion to "reimburse Fred for the money he has lost." Motion passed 6-1 , I was the minority.

Can a corporation reimburse a corporate officer for a personal loss such as this?
To me it stinks to high heaven.
If illegal, unlawful or just plain wrong, what are my options? If illegal or unlawful, is this an IRS issue of an issue for Illinois authorities?

bizlaw :

What was done was not illegal or unlawful. What should have happened is that the loan should have been approved by the selling corp or made by the selling corp if that is what it was going to take to close the deal. The president making the loan did it to facilitate a sale the selling corporation wanted to accomplish. It would be appropriate for the corporation to reimburse the loan to the officer as the corporation is the one who benefited from it.

If you need further help please do not rate 2 stars/faces "Helped a little" or 1 star/face "I expected more".This is considered a negative rating against me.

Just reply to me via the "CONTINUE CONVERSATION" or "REPLY" button with the questions you have as I receive no compensation for my efforts for the lowest two ratings.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it by giving a three stars/faces or higher . That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication

Richard - Bizlaw and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you