Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

If an individual wins the lottery for $5 million and agrees

Customer Question
to receive a lump-sum payment...
If an individual wins the lottery for $5 million and agrees to receive a lump-sum payment of $4 million rather than the annual annuity installments, what is the tax treatment for the loss? Do lottery winnings have a basis? If so, how would you calculate such? Would the lottery annuity have a basis? If so, how would you calculate such? Please provide the IRC or a law suit where this is explained.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
9/4/2012
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

There is no loss. The winnings are treated as gambling winnings and fully taxable as ordinary income in the year received. See IRS Bulletin 419 at http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc419.html

The $4,000,000 in cash now rather than $5,000,000 over time is simply based on the time value of money...i.e., the net present value of $5,000,000 received over a period of years is equal to $4,000,000 today. It has nothing to do with taxation of the money you receive. There is no basis; the winnings are simply treated as ordinary income when received.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please remember that
there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because
I may be helping others or taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Richard, Attorney