Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

Can customers bring their own alcoholic beverage to an eatery

Customer Question

Can customers bring their own alcoholic beverage to an eatery that does not have a liquor license?

Does the establishment need any type of license ???
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you are discussing California, even for "BYOB" (Bring your own beverage/bottle), the establishment still has to obtain a license. Rather than a full liquor license, the establishment would have to contact the municipality and apply for a "BYOB" license so as to permit parties to bring in their own beverages. If the eatery has no BYOB license then bringing in beverages is not permitted, as that can fine the eatery and potentially even shut them down. This is why the eatery must first apply for the license before anyone can be permitted to enter with their own beverages.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So the license is in California is called the BYOB license?

Thank you for your follow-up, Mando.

In terms of just bringing in alcohol, yes, that is the name of that license.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dimitri,

I have looked all over the internet for the BYOB license and am having a hard time locating any information regarding this. Can you send me a link or give me the license number or actual name?

I appreciate all your help with this.

Mando

Thank you for your follow-up, Mando.

This information will exist with your muncipality's department of licensing. Some jurisdictions require a BYOB license, some do not. In California a vast majority of municipalities require such a license but not all--you would need to contact them directly and find out whether such licensing is required and what are the steps to apply. Since I do not know exactly where you are located, I can only provide you with a general approach, as I do not have your specific municiaplity information in front of me.

Good luck.