Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Our association was incorporated under section 402 of the not

for profit corporation law in...
Our association was incorporated under section 402 of the not for profit corporation law in New York State. There are 45 members some of which own more than one parcel of property. Are these members subject to section 611E of the not for profit law limiting them to only one vote even though their dues is based upon the number of parcels they own. Our by-laws allow them to one vote per parcel owned. Our corporation is a type A under section 201 of the not for profit corporation law.
[email protected]
9/1/2012
Loren, Attorney
If the bylaws allow for voting in accordance with their proportionate membership, as do most HOA bylaws, the member would get a vote per parcel. That would fall under the exception in the last line of 611(e).
Loren, Attorney
Loren, Attorney