Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a US corporation Pay My Cafe Inc. and I have

Customer Question
PayMeIcafe Corp in the Philippines...
I have a US corporation Pay My Cafe Inc. and I have PayMeIcafe Corp in the Philippines. They are both separate companies but formed for the same reason to promote my paymycafe software and web services. I have an American partner that lives in the Philippines full time. His name is ***** ***** my US corporation. My question is I want him to sign a non-compete (he has access to all source codes and start a new business with same code re-named), but will it stand in both the US and Philippines if it is notarized in the Philippines?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
8/3/2012
Business Lawyer: Brent Blanchard, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Attorney
Thank you for your question.

Maybe, maybe not. Even IF a foreign notary is covered by a treaty or compact with the US making it valid, there remains the potential problem of the person who is looking at the notarial marks in the US just might not understand and accept it.

The most reliable way is to have the document notarized, by appointment only, at the US Embassy. http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/notary.html.

Everything else just doesn't have the same "cachet" of authenticity, if you know what I mean. Otherwise, the more correct approach is to get an Apostille for the signature.

Thank you.

BAB.
Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Attorney