Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

How do I set up a legal defense trust fund? I live in Rockville,

Customer Question
MD....
How do I set up a legal defense trust fund? I live in Rockville, MD.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
8/2/2012
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
You would have to form a legal trust first. The trust would have a trustee appointed and then you apply for a tax id number from the IRS. As this is not a charitable purpose, any income to the trust would have to be claimed and the trust would have to pay taxes on the money. You would need an attorney locally to draft the trust documents outlining how the money can be spent and who the trustee would be and who the beneficiary would be. Then you get the IRS tax ID and you can open a bank account in the name of the trust.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney