Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Do judges look adversely at changing lawyers during a custody

Do judges look adversely at changing lawyers during a custody case?
No, judges know attorneys may be changed for many reasons during a custody case and that does not get held against you unless the court finds you are changing attorneys to try to delay the case. If the court finds you are changing attorneys merely to delay the case, they can actually deny your request to substitute attorneys.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you that helps, However, I have been told that the judge on this case doesn't like to see a lot of problems/issues before the final court appearance and that it could affect the permanent custody order to the extent that he changes his mind about sole custody. What is the process of changing attorneys? Does it involve going before the judge again?

Typically, merely changing an attorney is not causing problems if it is done without delaying the case. To change an attorney your attorney can file a withdrawal of counsel and your new attorney would file a motion to substitute as counsel. The changing of counsel only needs to be filed with the court, you do not have to go to court in front of the judge to do so.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. Not sure if I feel any better. Probably just nerves. Don't want to have sole custody changed to anything else. I know the father has lost his attorney for non-payment and my attorney said the court date for that was on the 9th, which means someone sees the judge. Don't know who. I thought everyone, but was told I didn't have to be there. I don't want to irritate the judge by also changing my attorney. Just wanted to feel more comfortable if I moved forward.
These cases are very emotional, so I can understand you having nerves for certain. As long as your attorney is present and is telling you that you do not have to be there, then you are fine. But if you have problems with your attorney, you can change them, however, you are only 6 days away and this means that a new attorney would delay the proceeding. If you wait until after the 9th, then you can consider making the change and it would not cause disruption.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What I am understanding from your last response is that if I change attorneys before the court date of the father's attorney to withdraw, I will delay the process, but if I change attorneys after that date, I will not delay the process. Is that correct? If so, what causes the delay?
If the father's attorney is withdrawing and that is the reason for this hearing (I was not aware of that being the reason) then it wouldn't really matter if you are going to change attorneys as well, since the father's attorney is pulling out already and it would just mean there would be two new attorneys or he would be pro se and you would have a new attorney and that does not delay the process.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Thank you. Please leave excellent service feedback.