Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I was sued by insurance in NJ Civil court as one of several

I was sued by insurance...
I was sued by insurance in NJ Civil court as one of several defendants. Insurance paid property damage due to roof colapse to their client whom they insured and now insurance goes after everybody who did work for that property to recover their money. I did not do work that they claim I did, and i also had contract with their client under corporate name. I am being sued personally. Should I file motion to dismiss myself or shoudl I try to answer Claim pro-se, since what Plaintiff accuses me , I did not do. My contract with their client was for different services.
8/2/2012
You should indeed file a Motion To Dismiss based on them suing the improper party AND failure to state a claim and you would state that the contract was with the corporation and as such the owner of a corporation is not personally liable for the corporation and they failed to name the corporation AND also that as you did no such work that they allege, they have failed to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Confused: what is eaxctly do you mean "Failure to state a claim" if in compaint that I received Plaintiff stated long list of claims to all different defendants.

Also, do I need an attorney to filr Motion to Dismiss, and if yes, what type of attorney? I am working in PA, civil court is in NJ where Plaintiff filed law suit.

,

Confused: what is eaxctly do you mean "Failure to state a claim" if in compaint that I received Plaintiff stated long list of claims to all different defendants.

Failure to state a claim for which relief can be granted, means that they have not stated any claim against you because you did not do the work they are making claims for in their suit. That is one ground for you to state in your motion to dismiss. The second ground you state in your motion to dismiss is that they named the improper party, since the contract was with your company and not you and the company was not named.

You do not need an attorney to file a motion to dismiss on your behalf, if they name your company, the company would have to be represented by an attorney. While it is always best to use an attorney, you can file the motion to dismiss you personally on your own without an attorney. You would need a construction law attorney in NJ to file.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney