Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I want to start a bookkeeping business. I want to charge $100/hr

I want to start a...
I want to start a bookkeeping business. I want to charge $100/hr for under a 10000 transaction but $200 an hr for over 1000 transactions. I want to be an independent contractor as a bookkeeper. I am not doing payroll or bank reconcilation. I am only doing spreadsheets for balanace sheets, trial balance, and income statements. is this all legal?

thank you.
8/2/2012
kattorney
kattorney, Attorney

Kathie Russell :

Yes, this is all perfectly legal. You might want to consider setting up an entity, such as an S corporation or a limited liability company (LLC) for your business. This will protect your personal assets from business issues (and vice versa) and may give you some tax advantages. Please let me know if you want any additional information regarding this matter. Thanks!

Customer:
Customer:

what legal issues is there in starting a security guard company?

Kathie Russell :

With a security guard company, there are more licenses and permits that you have to get. Also, there are training issues and, if your guards will be armed, there are gun training and licensing issues. You will also need proper insurance coverages in order to get contracts to provide services.

kattorney
kattorney, Attorney
kattorney
kattorney
kattorney, Attorney