How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 33918
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi JD 1992, Well after getting your great advice-I decided

This answer was rated:

Hi JD 1992,

Well after getting your great advice-I decided to give her one more chance to do the right thing so I sent a letter demanding that she hand over the company. I looked up information to support my claim which consisted of misrepresentation, conversion, etc. I gave 4 days to send an agreement to transfer the company or I will retain counsel. She agreed immediately. Her lawyer sent a document that I will speak with an attorney before I signed but I wanted to know if she's released from liabilities am I am to serve a 1099 for monies she took from the company? I hopefully will get an attorney this week.
Congratulations! And thanks for the kind words.

As far as sending the 1099, my initial answer is yes, so long as you can prove that she took the money and didn't declare it in any other way. However, you will definitely want to talk to the IRS because their 1099 rules change periodically as does their approach. I heard a colleague the other day mention something about a recent change in the bad debt 1099s but I don't know if it affects this area.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you